Debate and discussion regarding the insurance implications related to the COVID-19 pandemic continue to evolve. In this email we have compiled recent relevant publications and posts. To see earlier compilations on the topic, you can go here and here.
In addition to the articles below, the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies has compiled state bulletins and directives regarding the coronavirus as well as provided links to the COVID-19 sections many insurance departments have created on their websites.
As a reminder, we will be holding a webinar on insurance coverage issues raised by the pandemic TODAY! Register ASAP if you’re interested to make sure you receive the login information in time.
- Why it Matters that Insurance is Declared to be an “Essential Service,“ by Adam Malik, Canadian Underwriter (March 24, 2020)
- The Impact of COVID-19 on P/C Insurance, by Sean Kevelighan and Michel Leonard, PhD, Presentation by the Insurance Information Institute at a Special Session of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (March 20, 2020)
- The Impact of the Pandemic on Insurance Mergers, by Greg Meckbach, Canadian Underwriter (March 24, 2020)
- Fitch Expects Coronavirus to Have “Modest“ Impact on Insurance Ratings, The Standard, 286 no. 6 (March 20, 2020): 5
- A M Best Pandemic Stress Test Announced, Carrier Management (March 19, 2020)
- The Coronavirus‘ Impact on Business Interruption Coverage is “Direct Physical Loss” Being Redefined?, by Rick Hammond, HeplerBroom, (March 2020)
- Commentary: Does Business Income Insurance Cover Coronavirus Shutdowns?, by Bill Wilson, The Insurance Journal (March, 24, 2020)
- Business Income Losses from Widespread Closure Orders Are Covered Under Standard Property Insurance Policies, by Pamela D. Hans and Marhsall Gilinsky, Anderson Kill (March 2020)
- Restaurant Suit Tests Business Interruption Insurance for Coronavirus Shutdowns, by Jim Sams, The Insurance Journal (March 19, 2020)
- Analyst Says Specialty P/C Insurers More Likely to See Business Interruption Losses, The Insurance Journal (March 19, 2020)
- Business Interruption Coverage and the Coronavirus Pandemic, by Owen Gallagher, Esq, Agency Checklists (March 17, 2020)
- Will Commercial BI Cover Pandemics After COVID-19?, by David Gambrill, Canadian Underwriter (March 24, 2020)
- Many Liability Insurance Policies May Provide Coverage for Losses from Coronavirus, by Daniel J. Healy, Stephen D. Palley, and Rhonda D. Orin, Anderson Kill (March 2020)
- Pressure Builds on Insurers to be Part of the Coronavirus Business Solution, by Andrew G. Simpson, The Insurance Journal (March 20, 2020)
- Letter from Members of Congress to Leading P/C Trade Associations (March 18, 2020)
- Joint Trade’s Response (March 18, 2020)
- Coronavirus Resource Update, by Pamela Simpson, The Insurance Journal (March 16, 2020)
- How the Insurance Industry CAN Help with the Coronavirus Epidemic, by Bill Wilson (March 22, 2020)